She Works Hard for the Money

On September 16, I returned back to work. While I know in my heart of hearts that I want to be working, the transition from maternity leave back to the working world is a really tough one. Not because maternity leave is this blissful 12 weeks where I sit on the couch and chillax. But, because the course of a day is vastly different in those two worlds.

During my nearly three months off, the company I worked for acquired a company about the same size as us (yay, double the work!) and moved locations to Frisco (yay! less of a commute).  Needless to say, I was handily out of the loop. Upon my return I was immediately thrown into last-minute details of our 350+ person user conference, which happened the second week I was back. Let me just say that leaving the house at 6:30 a.m. and returning after midnight was not exactly "easing back into things".

All complaining aside, it feels GREAT to be at work. I had such a great time at the event and turns out, it was a great way for me to meet people from the new company.  And while tooling around in my workout clothes all day has it's perks, getting up and getting dressed each morning has done wonders for my self esteem.

The two biggest things I'm loving about being back to work (besides all my awesome co-workers) is a) getting ready and feeling "pretty" and b) eating lunch.  Such a simple thing, huh? All you mamas out there hear me when I say that I could easily look up at 3:30 p.m. and realize I hadn't eaten all day. The day so easily gets away from you when you are constantly worried about someone else's eating and sleeping schedule.

I'm also hoping that as Oscar's sleeping habits continue to improve that all this will get a tiny bit easier (not sure some mornings there is enough coffee to sustain me)!