Welcome to the world, Oscar Angelo Bruns!

Oscar Angelo Bruns
Born June 23, 2013, 9:46 a.m.
9lbs 10 oz
20.5 in
 

 

(Long post ahead! You've been warned)

What a crazy past five days the Bruns family has had! In fairness, we knew things were going to change this week, but in true Bruns/Mitchell fashion, things didn't quite go according to plan.

As I rounded out my pregnancy with Oscar, I spent the last few days taking it easy and soaking in our Family of Three. I stopped working last Thursday with my scheduled induction date planned for Mon. June 24... 39 weeks and 1 day, which is exactly when Walt made his arrival.  Now, while many things about my pregnancy this time have been surprising (more physically challenging, sicker, , etc), I just KNEW two things from the get-go. 1) This little guy was not waiting until term to come out and 2) This "little" guy would not be so little. Turns out, I was right about both.

After a nice day as a family on Saturday, Chris and I enjoyed a homemade grilled pizza and went to bed like normal.  I remember dreaming about contractions. Turns out, I was having some. I finally became lucid enough around 4:30 a.m. to begin counting the contractions. They were about 10 minutes apart and not comfortable, but certainly not unbearable.  After about an hour of counting them, I became antsy wondering if this was going to go somewhere or if I was just going to lie around counting contractions all day. So, at 5:30 a.m. I decided to get up and lie on the couch. Chris woke up and I told him what I was doing, but said not to get too excited.

It took about 5 minutes for that mentality to change and change FAST. I'm not sure if it was my standing up or what, but as soon as I made to the couch, the contractions intensified and started happening more like every 4 minutes. By 6:00 a.m. we realized this was no joke and needed to put Plan B into action. We called my mom to come stay at the house until Walt got up... except I couldn't even wait the mere 20 minutes it would take her to get there so we called our sweet neighbors, The Allens, and Josh scurried over to sit on the couch til my mom got there.

At this point (less than 90 minutes after I began paying attention to contractions), I was doubled over in pain, screaming and crying through contractions. It sounds so cliché, but those suckers HURT! Like a scene out of a movie, Chris was doing 85 mph down the Tollway and I was gripping anything I could find in the car and yelling with primal force.

By 6:30 a.m. we were at the hospital, hooked up to an IV and getting my cervix checked. The nurse exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, you are 8 cm!"  Well, that explains the bring-me-to-my-knees contractions. Through gritted teeth I said, "Is there time for an epidural?!?!?" The nurses scurried around and brought the anesthesiologist in. Let me just say that sitting still for the epidural during those epic contractions took some serious mental willpower...

By 7:00 a.m. I felt much better. Epidurals have a tendency to slow labor down, but I guess Oscar was ready. I quickly progressed to 10 cm (yet my water was still in tact). The dr. broke it and at that point, we were ready to push. I closed my eyes and got mentally ready for the pushing game, which I know can take a while. They got me all set up and said, "Ok, here comes a contraction, push!"  During that contraction, I pushed three times, and heard a baby crying! There he was, Mr. Oscar Angelo!

As suspected, he was a big boy, but WAY bigger than anyone thought! I expected nine pounds, but he came in at 9 lbs 10 oz and 20.5" long at 9:46 a.m. WHAT? How did he get so big??! Everything about him was absolutely perfect. He has a head full of dark hair (maybe wavy??), he's way chubby, he has crazy long eyelashes, and I can't tell exactly who he looks like. We need some time on that. 

More posts to come on how we're adjusting with two, how Walt is doing, and of course, how Oscar is doing. Here are some pics for now.

Just moments after birth. Finally feeling him on the outside!

Cheeks and eyelashes. <3

Our boys! Walt is a VERY proud big bro!

Brotherly love. Just stop it.


Watching golf already with Daddy :)