A Reflection on My MBA

Today I'm one week away from graduating with my MBA.  Sounds super fancy, huh? It doesn't really feel that way right now. While this isn't my first semester juggling a job, a family, and school, it's definitely been the hardest. I don't know if it was easier when Walt was little bitty b/c there was less to entertain him with? Now he has play dates and birthday parties galore on the weekends, and he's just active in general!

The other frustrating thing is I graduate next Friday, Dec. 7, but I have finals the following week. It's really the dumbest arrangement ever. It makes me wonder if some Aggie is in charge?!  Don't get me wrong, I'm walking my happy butt across that stage, accepting my diploma, and having a party. Those things are non-negotiable. It's just tough to get REALLY excited until it's all over.

Today I picked up my cap and gown (yay!) and thought about a question a former co-worker and friend, Kyle, has asked me, "Would you do it over again?"  Meaning, was it worth it.  The short answer is yes.  The long answer is I did it all kinds of backwards. The whole journey will have taken me four years (hello, it's like a whole other undergrad degree!).  While it's been possible to do it while having a kid, I do NOT recommend that. I started my MBA when I was 29. I probably should have done it when I was 27. However, it's a fine line. I do NOT recommend an MBA without some decent work experience. There are too many "straight from undergrad" kids that just don't get it.  The work experience is a HUGE plus.

I also used to say I wish I had taken a year off and just done it in 16 months or whatever.  But, really, I've been able to apply lots of things I've learned to current jobs. So, I see value immediately. That's a good reward. So, yes, I'd probably do it all over again if I was 27 and kidless. But since I'm 33 and fully kidded, I'm dogmatically DONE with school.  Three graduations in my lifetime is plenty.